Did you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving? I knew many people who were dreading the day. I was fortunate to find an easy place to go to, with my son, where we could kick back and feel safe. My father was not with me. He sometimes marches to the beat of his own drum. I think he would have liked to be with me and Oliver; honestly I was not up to hosting a dinner, and I was not up to going out. I'm in a place where I tread lightly, finding easy, comfortable, peaceful places to reside. My friend Rachel's home was just the place for us.
I read Jesus Calling often, a daily reader. I began to read it even before I became a Christian (for the third time, hopefully the last!) When I first started reading it, I had faith in God, but I was not a Christian. I would always substitute the word God for Jesus. This reading didn't mention Jesus. I wanted to share it with you! That way even if you are of a different faith, perhaps you will find something useful in this reading!
“Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity. That is why I have instructed you to give thanks for everything. There is an element of mystery in this transaction: You give me thanks (regardless of your feelings), and I give you Joy (regardless of your circumstances). This is a spiritual act of obedience—at times, blind obedience. To people who don’t know Me intimately, it can seem irrational and even impossible to thank Me for heart rendering hardships.
Nonetheless, those who obey Me in this way are invariably blessed, even though difficulties may remain.
Thankfulness opens your heart to My Presence and your mind to My thoughts. You may still be in the same place, with the same set of circumstances, but it is as if a light has been switched on, enabling you to see from My perspective. It is this Light of My Presence that removes the sting from adversity.”
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
I am grateful for:
- my health and Oliver's health
- my father's ability to get to the ER in time, and that he is recovering
- our beautiful apartment, a respite from the world
- all that we have which is more than we need
- a working vehicle
- money in the bank
- a good neighborhood to live in, with great schools
- a friendly, compassionate land lady
- how God works in my life and makes so many things possible
- the help I receive
- friendly neighbors, a great church, a network of incredible support
- a cozy fireplace to relax in front of
- my family
- all those wonderful gifts that we have received the last few months
- watching my son read, watching him sing and dance, watching him develop friendships
- Christi, Sue J, Deb, Pamela, Ann, Brea, Rachel, Angie RM, Angie M, Amy P, Amy J, Amy B, Jenny Q, Samone, Rega, Kim, Jen R, Diane A, Maryhelen, Maggie, Sue Z, Beth, Lara, Heather, Deanna, Lynn W, Audrey, Jenny H, Amie A, Elle, Kelly, Common Household Mom .... Just to name a few of the women that have been a support to me during the last couple months! They cheer me on, pray for me, listen to me and accept me for where I'm at.
- a thinner, healthier me
- that what’s-his-name hasn’t tried to contact me
- that I haven’t contacted him, even tho I’ve been tempted :(
- my faith journey... it's been so very rewarding and exciting
What are you thankful for?